5 November 2007

Songs To Drive Cars By?

Driving is always, nay ALWAYS, made better by the quality of music coming out of the speakers. Especially if there is a middle-lane hogger coming into view and the blood pressure starts to rise. So, having spent many days during the summer driving long hours to distant places - Swansea, Cardiff, Droylsden, Crawley (not that far, but ahem, M25), it made me think about what would be my ultimate 20-track mixtape (CD, you know what I mean).

Given that I'm currently about to face a proverbial firing squad, I thought I'd actually put my thoughts into pure, hard copy. It's a bit like picking a fantasy football team, knowing that two weeks down the line you'll wish you'd waited for that last-day-of-summer-signing that would make your line-up even better.

It's going to be contentious whatever. Jeremy Clarkson for one won't agree - there's no heavy stuff on it... well there might be, I still haven't fully thought this through. I was hoping it would take me where I'd want to go (not Gravesend). Anyway, there are no rules - no limits to age of track, no limits on amount of times a band is included etc. That's not to say anything goes, because I'm not including cheese. So like the hardest of anti-climax, here we go - 20 songs for killing an hour in a car:

1. The Cribs - Men's Needs
2. The Maccabees - X-Ray
3. Hadouken! - That Boy, That Girl
4. Bloc Party - The Prayer (Hadouken! mix)
5. Metric - Monster Hospital (MSTRKRFT mix)
6. VWF - Burst Into Flames
7. Klaxons - Atlantis to Interzone (Hadouken! mix)
8. The Cribs - Hey Scenesters!
9. Manic Street Preachers - You Love Us (Heavenly mix)
10. Those Dancing Days - Those Dancing Days
11. The Rifles - She's Got Standards
12. Foals - Hummer
13. Reverend and the Makers - He Said He Loved Me
14. Pigeon Detectives - I Found Out
15. The Clash - Safe European Home
16. Dogs -Tuned To A Different Station
17. Metro Riots - Butcher of Hollywood
18. The Sunshine Underground - Put You In Your Place
19. Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing
20. The Dykeenies - Stitches

Hmmm, well there we are - my idea of an ultimate driving mixtape. Yeah, that didn't feel totally fulfilling - it'll probably change within a month. But that would be the playlist if I was setting off into the sun tomorrow. But seeing as I'm not, I don't really need to say much more on the matter.

No comments: