2 January 2008

Now that's what I call 2007

Just as soon as it was thrust upon us, the year that was 2007 is about to be consigned to history. Naturally, the best way to celebrate this fact is to gather round the television for the hours of lists and reviews that somehow do the year's events justice. But rather than watch Jimmy Carr scoff his way through the funny side of Chelsea winning the cup, here goes my attempt at creating a "Best of..." list that even I can't disagree with, surely?

One of the most eagerly deployed clichés is 'what a year this has been in music', and if you look in any of the music mags, they'll probably say something to that extent. I'll happily subscribe to that claim though. It's not been an epoch-defining year, but there has been some good shit this year, and this is a shameless attempt to sign-up to the list-makers' guild with a look at some of the better music of 2007 type of thing. Some might be a bit older, but I reserve that right, isn't it?


Babyshambles - Delivery

Bloc Party - Flux

Cajun Dance Party - Amylase

Foals - Hummer

Hadouken! - That Boy That Girl

Heavyweight Champion of the World - He Said He Loved Me

Jack Penate - Second Minute or Hour

Jukebox Vandals - Yeah, No, Definitely

Klaxons - Gravity's Rainbow

La Rocca - Sketches (20 Something Life)

LCD Soundsystem - All My Friends

Los Campesinos - You! Me! Dancing

Manic Street Preachers - Send Away The Tigers

The Cribs - Men's Needs:

The Dykeenies - Stitches

The Holloways - Generator

The Maccabees - X-Ray

The Pigeon Detectives - I Found Out

The Rakes - We Danced Together

The Sunshine Underground - Borders

The Wombats - Kill The Director (CSS mix)

VWF - Family Man

I could offer explanations but I'll let the music do the talking. If I missed any out, hey, it happens. Lovely.

No comments: