18 January 2008

Rooney - When Did Your Heart Go Missing

From the first time I heard I'm Shakin' back in 2003, I developed something of a very casual interest in the Los Angeles band, Rooney. But although I quite liked the up-tempo indie-pop, some of the other stuff at the time was raw and skimmed across the further reaches of my consciousness before the band seemed to drop off the radar completely.

But on a recent trip to Italy, I discovered that from literally nowhere, to my mind, the band had returned thanks to hearing When Did Your Heart Go Missing off a new album that had taken four years in the making. Reading back, it appears it came out in the UK in May, and failed to make the Top 40, which is incredibly disappointing considering how catchy this tragically epic song is.

And to think my first experience of it was thinking "Why the hell are these still making MTV Italy?" Without a word of a lie, it seemed this song was everywhere in Milan. Well, sort of. Two nights in a row in what became a favourite restaurant, the song sat snugly amongst other mid-to-late-2007 indie/powerpop releases. And to think when I first strained to hear it in this establishment I thought it was Lostprophets' A Town Called Hypocrisy. What an error.

No comments: